Are you visiting Loreto, located in the Gulf of California? Where in July 1996 it was decreed as a protected natural area. Its territorial extension includes the crowned islands, Isla del Carmen, Danzante, Montserrat and Santa Catalina (or Catalan) and several islets. We will talk about these further along.
Its charming beaches, natural monuments, outdoor activities and delicious cuisine attract a growing stream of Mexican and foreign tourists, especially Canadians and North Americans. This park makes Loreto a world-class destination for all types of outdoor activities as mentioned above. A number of outfitters offer everything from kayaking, diving, snorkeling along the reefs and hiking.
These are the 8 essential things to do and see in Loreto.
- Tours to the Beautiful Islands. Loreto is famous for its islands, which have clean beaches with white sand. You can start visiting the Coronado Island “Tour en lancha a Isla Coronado”, since it is located about 8 kilometers from the port of Loreto. Ideal for spending the day, it has its own private beach and has lots of marine life, so it is also worth the snorkeling or diving. With its spectacular rock formation and being a sanctuary for sea lions. Another option is Danzante Island.
- Whale Watching. The whale watching season begins in December and ends in April. If your holidays are scheduled this season you should not miss having a wonderful intimate and action-packed encounter to appreciate the Humpback Whale. The Sea of Cortez is home to many species each season, including whales, whales, whales, sperm whales, blue whales and occasional groups of dolphins and killer whales. Do not forget to take a picture for your plasma this wonderful meeting.
- Diving, Snorkeling, Kayaking. Whether you do one or all activities is something you cannot stop doing in the Beaches of Cabo San Lucas because it is well known that in the depths of its seas you will find a unique paradise of algae and colorful fish. Either enjoy either alone or as a couple an adventure in Kayak. Cabo San Lucas has many options to contract these activities. The best places to do it are in front of the famous Cabo Sana Lucas Arch.
- Sport Fishing. For those who enjoy sport fishing Loreto has excellent conditions for the practice of this sport, because it has several species such as Marlin, yellowfin tuna, dorado among others and the best part of this is that the place has not yet been exploited. If your dream is to catch a big fish, do not wait any longer and make it a reality in Loreto. If you are going to rent a boat, make sure it is with an authorized company, this way you will have the peace of mind that you will receive a quality service.
- San Javier Mission. This tourist place was founded in 1699, first as a chapel and the current building being built in 1744, it was the second mission to establish itself permanently in the peninsula of Baja California. It is considered the mission that best maintains the original appearance and one of the best preserved in the peninsula. Known as “the jewel of the missions of Baja California”, its style is Baroque and inside you will find oil paintings and sculptures of first quality.
- Cave paintings in the Sierra Giganta. One of the treasures of this municipality is the mountain range, the home of cave paintings with more than 10,000 years of antiquity. The cave paintings in Loreto are actually much larger and much more than those found in European sites such as Altamira, Tamaulipas or Lascaux in France. You must have an authorization from the guides, who are in charge of taking visitors. This tour can be done on foot or on board a 4×4 vehicle.
- Trekking in Tabor. On the same mountains you can do some trekking. In charge of taking water from the Sierra de la Giganta to the sea, the Tabor Canyon is one of the natural wonders of Loreto. You can carry out a number of environmentally friendly activities: hiking, rappel, swimming, observation of flora and fauna. From the top of the stones you can see the Bay of Loreto. It is an adventure to travel the Tabor Canyon, inside it you will run into natural swimming pools where you will have to cross to be able to follow your path, besides observing the great diversity of flora and fauna of the place.
- Loretano Culinary. The popular dishes of Loreto, of course, are the northern food such as machaca, beans and goat cheese, without leaving behind the sea specialties such as ceviche, fish tacos and callus, as well as the gratin, cream pickled clam chocolata or made in “tatemada”, which is iconic in Loreto. This tatemada cooking tradition has been in Loreto for over 160 years with the Loretanas Family generation from generation
Loreto is a memorable, each experience will be loaded with feelings of adrenaline, happiness and fun. If you like adventure, do not hesitate to visit.